Triamcinolone acetonide, you may have noticed it on the tube of a cream prescribed if you have someone at home with allergies, eczema or psoriasis. The synthetic glucocorticoid is a stimulator of steroid hormones that are produced by our bodies. It helps in adjusting the immune system during an overreaction.
The FDA approved the drug in 1958 and since then, it has been used for the treatment of allergic reactions triggered by immune-related issues. The medication is available in different forms, mainly the cream variant is used for topical application.
The interaction with other medications is important to know the side effects that may be encountered. The following sections will elaborate on the uses, side effects, dosage and precautions that you must take while using this prescription medication.
What Is It?
Corticosteroids are steroids used as anti-inflammatory medicine that can alleviate several issues. The natural source of this steroid are the adrenal glands that sit above our kidneys. However, the commercially available medicine is the synthetic version of the hormone. Triamcinolone acetonide belongs to the synthetically produced class of corticosteroids that are prescribed for the symptoms related to allergic reactions.
These are related to issues of the immune system and may range from eczema to rashes due to contact with an allergen.
The allergen may cause an issue to flare up which requires immediate attention. The triamcinolone acetonide medication is available in aerosol spray, lotion and paste form for various concerns across body parts. It can also be injected or inhaled through nasal spray.
Fig: Structural formula of Triamcinolone Acetonide
Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream Uses
The medication is used for the purpose of chronic or acute skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis or symptoms of allergic reactions such as rashes, itching, dryness, scaling or redness.
Apart from skin conditions, it is also known to be used for breathing problems, eye diseases, intestinal disorders, blood diseases, and some cancers. The injection of this medication for sensitive cases- epidural- requires consultation with your doctor.
It is also used for keloid scars. As I researched this, I am reminded of the time I developed a keloid and had to use a topical ointment. It may have been triamcinolone acetonide!
How Does It Work?
The medication works by activating natural substances (steroid hormones) which reduce the itching, redness and swelling. With application of the ointment for at least twice or four times in a day, the corticosteroid is able to fulfill its role.
What Is The Dosage?
The dosage depends on the formulation used. The available dosages of the topical cream are 0.025%, 0.15% and 0.5%. The affected area is taken care of by applying this ointment at least twice or thrice.
The ointment must be stored at 20 degrees to 25 degrees C, avoiding extreme heat.
Fig: Rx only; Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, 0.025%, 15 grams tube
What Are The Side Effects?
The side effects of this medication include:
- Burning, redness, itching, drying of the skin, and stinging
- Change in skin color
- Unwanted hair growth
- Red or white bumps on skin
- Red bumps or rash around the mouth
- Severe rash
- Signs of infection in the place of application
|Please note: If you experience any of the abovementioned signs of irritation, immediately contact your doctor and discontinue use.|
Are There Any Precautions?
- The allergy to this substance is prevalent, which must be informed to the physician or pharmacist before it is administered. The allergy to any other corticosteroid must also be informed. Be sure to inform your physician of any other allergies that you may have, as well as any medication you are on.
- The topical cream of this substance may contain different substances that may be harmful to the user, causing severe side effects. The inactive ingredients in the cream can also act as an allergen for them.
- You must also be sure to inform the physician of any condition such as bleeding problems, osteoporosis, heart and eye problems. The knowledge of these existing conditions allows the physician to prescribe the correct dose.
- If there are contra-indications, the prescription of this medication may be difficult.
- Following are the known interactions of the substance:
- The interaction with different components of a drug that you may already be consuming can cause serious side effects. The drugs that have been reported to cause poor results in the patient are- aspirin, NSAIDs, and anti-platelet drugs such as clopidogrel.
- If there is a case of overdosing or adverse reaction, call 911. The poison control center may also be contacted.
- The physician or pharmacist must also know the nutritional supplements that you may be taught.
- Only take the medication in the prescribed amount and duration. The medication is known to weaken the immune system, overuse can make you prone to infection.
What Can Be Done?
If you have a condition that can be altered through lifestyle changes, then it is advised you talk to your physician. The changes that can be helpful in alleviating a condition may be discussed with the doctor for them. They can conduct tests which can detect any changes to your physiology due to the medication.
If there is no alternative, the physician may have to prescribe another mediation for your condition.
Benefits Of Triamcinolone Acetonide
The benefits are as follows:
- The ointment is inexpensive and thus, does not become inaccessible.
- It is widely used and has strong research supporting its effectiveness on issues.
- The various uses of this substance is known to alleviate several conditions.
- The availability of the medication in different forms lets it be used on any area of the body, under doctor’s prescription.
This was all on the therapeutic substance that is triamcinolone acetonide. The proper use of the medication as per the doctor’s instructions will benefit the user. The different conditions that are alleviated by the ointment were also mentioned in the article, with emphasis on the precautions that must be taken. The appropriate use of the ointment allows you to control the condition as well as treat it completely, provided it is in the acute stage.
The daily use of triamcinolone acetonide cream depends on the condition and your doctor’s prescription. The use of it in appropriate amounts, as per the directions is sufficient to get rid of your condition.
The patients who cannot take medicines through the oral route, are administered the injection. The injection can treat similar conditions as any other variant such as arthritis, allergic reactions, gout.
The medication that you are choosing makes the difference in requiring a prescription. If the medication is triamcinolone acetonide, it will require a prescription.
The potency of the medication is categorized as medium to strong by pharmacists and researchers. Moreover, the dose of the corticosteroid also contributes to the strength.
Unless the rashes are caused due to an underlying condition that requires treatment with triamcinolone, do not use the medication on your face. It is better to consult your doctor before applying the cream anywhere else than the affected area.