Cancer has now officially become one of the most common yet deadly diseases that affect millions worldwide. Due to the consumption of more processed foods and more and more people leading unhealthier lifestyles, cancer is rising steadily. There are many common types of cancers that most people are predicted to die due to.
If you wish to know which types of cancer are the most common, then read this post till the end. Here, you will get to learn about common cancer types and the number of people affected in the USA.
Most Common Types Of Cancers In The USA
The most common types of cancer that affect millions of people each year globally are:
10. Pancreatic Cancer
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 57,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 46,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 9%
Pancreatic cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer. It’s deadly because, among the various cancer types, pancreatic cancer tumors progress and spread the fastest. They quickly affect the functioning of the organ and spread to nearby organs as well.
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 62,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 23,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 62%
When it comes to Leukemia, I have taken into account all the various types of Leukemia. Therefore, this encompasses all types of blood cancer. Blood diseases like this cancer develop in your bone marrow, which abnormally starts producing lots of white blood cells. Soon, the number of white blood cells starts exceeding the red blood cells in your body (which means death).
8. Kidney Cancer
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 74,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 15,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 75%
Kidney cancer starts developing in the kidney pelvis itself or the ureter (tubes that carry urine). Renal cell carcinoma is the most common type of kidney cancer. In most cases, it develops as a tumor in one of your kidneys. Rarely do tumors develop in both kidneys.
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 75,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 20,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 77%
When it comes to lymphoma, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is the most commonly occurring type. Here, the tumor starts developing in your lymph nodes, which are an essential part of your lymphatic system. Most tumors here develop from the lymphocytes (white blood cells) that originate from your lymph nodes.
6. Bladder Cancer
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 81,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 18,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 92%
Bladder cancer occurs mainly in males compared to females. In addition, it has been observed that it affects older people the most. This type of cancer develops primarily due to bladder infections. Also, long-term dialysis has often been the cause of this form of cancer.
5. Melanoma (Skin Cancer)
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 97,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 8,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 92%
Melanoma is one of the most common types of skin cancer. Here, skin infections and unhealthy lifestyles often lead to the formation of skin tumors. As the name suggests, this type of cancer mainly originates in melanin – the pigments of your skin that give your skin its color.
4. Colorectal Cancer
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 145,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 52,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 64%
Colorectal cancer is another common cancer type. Also referred to as colon cancer, this cancer develops in your colon or intestines. In many situations, the tumor often forms in the rectum as well. This type of cancer is widespread in the USA, where it has taken the lives of famous actors like Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther).
3. Prostate Cancer
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 165,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 30,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 98%
A prevalent but highly treatable type of cancer, this only happens in males. Here, tumors start developing in the prostate glands, responsible for creating the semen that mainly constitutes ejaculation. It has often been the subject of debate and research that masturbating more might decrease the chances of having this disease.
2. Lung Cancer
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 228,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 143,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 23%
One of the deadliest types of cancer is also the most advertised. From cigarette packets to banners on the streets, this cancer is spreading like wildfire across all countries. Smoking and air pollution have been the leading causes of various types of lung cancer. Lung cancer also causes the most deaths compared to all other types of cancer.
1. Breast Cancer
- Approximate New Cases (Annually): 270,000
- Approximate Deaths (Annually): 42,000
- Five-Year Survival Rate: 90%
While the various types of breast cancer might not beat lung cancer in the amount of death caused, it easily defeats it in terms of women affected. In addition, 2% of all breast cancer cases have been in males as well.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) :-
Many people have various queries regarding what are the most common types of cancers, which I have answered here:
Q1. What Are The Main Types Of Cancer?
Ans: The broader subdivisions of cancer are:
- Carcinomas: Here, the tumor develops in the tissue that surrounds the organs.
- Sarcomas: Here, the tumor develops in the connecting parts of the organs, like blood vessels and nerves.
- Leukemias: This refers to all forms of blood cancer.
- Lymphomas: This refers to cancer where the tumor develops in the lymph nodes of our bodies.
Q2. What Are The Most Common Cancers In India?
Ans: In India, the most common types of cancers in India are:
- Lung Cancer
- Cervical Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Oral Cancer
- Stomach Cancer
Q3. What Are The Deadliest Forms Of Cancer?
Ans: The deadliest types of cancers are:
- Lung cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
Q4. How Are Most Cancers Caught?
Ans: The most prominent ways to identify cancers are:
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) Test
- Tumor Marker Testing
- Blood Protein Testing
- Urine Cytology Test
Various common types of cancer are affecting people in the USA and everywhere else in the world. Out of them all, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer, affecting 270,000 people annually in the USA. This is followed closely by lung cancer (the deadliest globally), prostate cancer, and colorectal cancer.
Have A Look :-